Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The No-Television Experiment, Day 7

Sebastian (age 4) and Serena (age 2) are having their supper at the picnic table in the backyard; they've been playing outside for hours, ever since we got home from running errands this afternoon.  Kai (7 months) is sitting on the living-room floor, playing happily by himself with a crow sounder.  The only other sound is the whirring of the fans in the living room and the kitchen.  Have I missed the television during our first TV-free week?  Not a bit.  Have the kids missed it?  Not much, as far as I can tell.

Sebastian has asked to watch TV perhaps four times during the week but without much conviction.  There hasn't even been a single "pleeeease?" when I've said no.  I didn't think it would be that easy; Sebastian is a persistent and goal-oriented kid, normally, and doesn't give up easily when he wants something--which makes me think that he doesn't really want to watch TV so much after all.

So what has he been doing instead, all week?  Well, we've been getting out of the house a lot more than usual.  Sebastian and Serena have been seeking entertainment in the backyard when they get bored with whatever they've been doing in the house, and even I've been getting out for more exercise and fresh air; when the kids start to get whiny, I'm more likely to get them all out for a walk than I was when I could count on the TV to keep them mesmerized for an hour or so before suppertime, naptime, bathtime, or storytime.

The kids have been more creative indoors, too: drawing and painting much more than usual (is it a coincidence that their drawings have suddenly gotten much more sophisticated in the last six days?), building, and inventing elaborate games of "house."  Sebastian's laziness has practically disappeared.  He's only once complained that it's too hot out, and he's been hiking happily for an hour or more at a time.  He always wants to go out when I ask him.  He even cleans up after himself with significantly less grumbling, and he doesn't get angry or grouchy as easily as he used to.  Is it my imagination, or has he actually become happier in such a short period of time?  Can television viewing really have such a strong effect on a person's whole life?

Both Sebastian and Serena have, as I'd hoped, started requesting stories during the day--reading is not just for bedtime any longer.  This has been especially beneficial for Serena, since she gets tired early in the evenings.  In the last week, she has read about three times as many stories as she did in the week before (Sebastian has read about twice as many)!  What makes me even happier is that they're both sitting through longer books and more books in French and Chinese.

As a bonus, I've somehow been getting them to bed noticeably earlier every night since we shut the TV set off.  It's easier to get them settled away for the night when you don't have to wait for a show to be over before you serve supper or put them in the bathtub, when they've already read plenty of stories during the day, and when they're actually tired because they've gotten plenty of exercise.

My concern that keeping the TV off would be bad for the children's Chinese seems to have been unfounded, too.  I no longer have to wait for the current show to be over in order to talk to them, and their brains are not filled with silly one-liners from their favorite programs.  I've noticed that we've actually been talking to each other more in French and Chinese and reciting more French and Chinese nursery rhymes and songs during the day.

My days haven't become any harder without the electronic babysitter.  Although I've been forced to pay more attention to the children, my interactions with them have been less stressful, so my energy levels have increased a bit, and, besides, I can think better without the constant chatter in the background.

I hope I continue to see improvements as the no-television experiment continues.  In the meantime, I am already fantasizing about throwing the TV set away forever (or at least locking it in a room where it can only be watched a couple of hours a week).  I haven't taken it out of the living room yet--mostly because it's too heavy for me to lift by myself--but I've been greedily eyeing the corner that it occupies, thinking about all the extra space I'd have if it were gone.

1 comment:

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Bravo! I'm glad to hear that your TV-free life is so fruitful.